Fishing in Iceland 2016
Our days are getting longer and we can sense that the fishing season is just around the corner. Trout fishing starts on April 1st, the first salmon rivers open early June and the rest will have opened by the end of June. So as they say...it´s all happening
Although most of the 2016 fishing has been reserved already we still have some good spots available, don´t forget that we have about 100 salmon rivers in Iceland!!
Prime time for
- Sea trout fishing is in spring and autumn
- Trout fishing can be good through the season of April – October
- Salmon fishing, depends on the rivers, but most rivers are best during July and August
- Arctic char fishing, same as the salmon fishing season.
- Sea angling May - September
- 1 rod, 13th-16th July
- 3 rods, 11th-13th July
- 2 rods, 15th-20th August (this was the best week in 2015 with 926 salmon caught)
- 1 rod, 14th-18th July
- 1 rod 3rd-6th July,
- 1 rod 24th-27th July
- 8th-11th August
- 14th-16th August.
- 2 rods, August 9th-10th (1,5 day of fishing)
- 2 rods 14th-18th July 4 days fishing.
- 4 rods 18th-22nd July 4 days fishing.
- 4 rods 15th-19th August 4 days fishing
- 2 rods 21st-25th August 4 Days fishing
- 2 rods, 30th June-3rd July
- 2 rods, 20th-21st July
- 2 rods, 17th-20th August
- 2 rods 20th-23rd August
- 3 rods, 10th-14th June,
- 3 rods, 5th-9th September
- 3 rods, 25th-30th September.
Icelandoutfitters has a wide variety of custom made fishing trips ranging from just from one day up until a few weeks.
- Mid highland fishing, amazing experience. Good value for money but quite basic.
- Trophy Trout, Lake Thingvellir. The famous HUMONGOUS trout.
- Varma river, only 20 min from Reykjavik. Perfect for a day tour.
- Galtalækur river, pretty little rod stream
- West Ranga trout, fly fishing, catch and release. A lot of water for those who seek adventure and are ready to walk and fish hard.
- Fossá river, beautiful river in a landscape that is out of this world.
- Reykjadalsá river, this is a perfect option for a group of 4 – 6 anglers spending 3 -6 days.
- Laxá in Myvatnsveit, the famous Brown trout beat of Big Laxá, full board included
- Laxá in Laxardalur, the famous Brown trout beat of Big Laxá, full board included.
- Norðfjardará Arctic char, one of the best Arctic char rivers in Iceland. Only 3 rods so you will have the river all to yourselves.
- Tungufljót in Skaftafell, Sea trout fishing in South East Iceland. Prime time is during spring and autumn, but the location is really good for staying with the family for a week´s touring and fishing during the summer.